The principal commands for handling files are found on the File menu.
There are several apps and utilities available that help you manage content and files:
- The 3ds Max Asset Library is a standalone app that allows you to quickly access 3D content on your local computer and network in a single view, making all content instantly searchable. You can download the app from the Autodesk App store.
- The Bitmap / Photometric Path Editor utility lets you view bitmap paths or remove them from the scene file.
- The File Finder is another resource for finding 3ds Max scenes.
- The Resource Collector copies or moves a scene’s bitmaps into a single directory.
- The Fix Ambient utility resolves lighting issues with older versions of scene files.
- The Bitmap Pager Statistics dialog provides information that helps you resolve issues with scenes that require large amounts of memory for texture maps.
- The Substitute modifier lets you replace linked AutoCAD Architecture objects with native 3ds Max geometry and objects.
You can use image file formats in a variety of ways: as textures for materials, as backgrounds to viewports, as background environments, as Image Input events in Video Post, and as images projected from a light. Similarly, 3ds Max can render to a number of popular image file formats.
External references to objects and scenes are another powerful way to manage a project, especially when it involves multiple contributors.